Saturday, December 12, 2009

internship 2

For my last Internship II placement I worked in a 6th grade language arts classroom at Roland Park Public Elementary and Middle school. Creating an interdisciplinary unit that also maintained my voice as an artist/teacher, was truly was like creating piece of artwork in a new medium.

It wasn’t until I used the language of fashion and textile to connect to my students that I felt truly invested in the lessons I taught. My goal was to create a fun space for my students to explore ideas they have: relationships, fashion, identity, through art and writing. Each day I brought my enthusiasm  for fashion into the classroom. The students regularly complimented me on my funky outfits. My students saw how I lived artfully. I often pointed out when I noticed something unique about their uniforms. This diminished the teacher/ student barrier between us. I saw the connections my students made between their lives and their education. The lessons I taught fostered a relationship where the students and I fed each other new ideas.

Planting seeds –my goal was to help my students understand its okay to be unique.

(funny=i had a student named Unique in this class.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment