Saturday, December 12, 2009

-FEAR-


Part of me wonders if exposing my students to issues of fashion and identity in the classroom will backfire and end up perpetuating the medias ideas of beauty. I think this goes back to lesson planning being very similar to art making . This will require a lot of finesse, carefully planning and discussion. 

i used this artist to get my students thinking about stereotyping based on the way someone looks.  The students described the personality  and habits of each person ( i showed the image in fragments) The students were surprised at how much clothing dictated their perception of the person photographed. they came up with pretty elaborate stories behind the person photographed. One observation made by a student was that if a man or woman wasn't covering their body, it indicated that they were from the streets. This took me by surprise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment